Knowing when to get things done and in what order, will put your mind at ease when the details of a big move threaten to overwhelm you.
2 Months Before:
* Sort through the contents of closet, drawers & cupboards to weed out what you don't want or need. Get rid of clutter. Clean out basements & garage. Hold a yard sale or donate unwanted items to charity.
* Inventory everything of value you plan to move.
* Obtain estimates from several moving companies or start calling friends to book them to help.
1 Month before:
* Source moving boxes and start packing! Remember to Label the contents in each box and where they belong in your new home.
* Track moving expenses and keep receipts, since some items may be tax deductible.
* Good idea to look into moving insurance coverage.
* If changing schools, obtain copies of school records or have them sent to new school.
2 Weeks Before:
* If using Family & Friends to move........CALL THEM AGAIN and confirm they will be there. If using movers, write directions to your new home, confirm delivery date and give the company your itinerary and cell phone number.
* Contact BC Hydro, Fortis & Cable company. Set up transfer & disconnect for all your Utilities, homes services including paper & water delivery
* Contact Canada Post to have your mail forwarded.
* Share your new address with your family & friends.
1 Week Before:
* Clean your home from top to bottom or arrange for a cleaning service to do it for you. Cut the lawns.
* Once again confirm all the move details with your friends or movers.
A Few Days Before:
* Place important documents like passports, home purchase contract papers etc in a safe box and label " Do Not Move" so you can transport them yourself during the move.
* Prepare an " open first" box with essentials you'll need in your new home, like towels, bedding basics, kitchen supplies including coffee pot, coffee & cups, bathroom supplies, toys, paper towel and tools.
* Label all keys and place all warranties in one place for new owners.
* Keep your home phone plugged in and have a cell phone handy to keep connected.
* Supervise the move and make sure furniture and boxes are all placed in the right rooms.
* Review the mover's bill carefully before signing. Check for damaged items.
*Say Good bye to your old home. Check all the rooms and closets and behind the doors for forgotten items. Turn down thermostat, lock up and leave all extra keys on kitchen counter. Give keys to landlord, new owners or Real Estate Agent.
* At your new home, make sure all the utilities are on and working properly.
* Unpack your "Open First Box", order in dinner and thank those who helped you move.
After the Move:
* Unpack, then donate or recycle your boxes or return your rental boxes.
* Change the address on your driver's license and car insurance.
* Consider calling a locksmith and have all your locks changed.
* Plan your housewarming Party and Enjoy your new home!